In BØRNEfonden’s five programme countries (Benin, Burkina Faso, Togo, Mali and Cape Verde) our work comprises three phases that follow the children’s development and needs from birth to young adulthood. The phases consist of integrated activities, covering four thematic areas: education, health, children & development and income generation. Each phase has a different focus, which is determined by the age and needs of the children. The three phases are: Early childhood, Childhood and Youth.
Read more about each phase:
Phase 1: Early childhood
Phase 2: Childhood
Phase 3: Youth
What we do
BØRNEfonden established the first project in Cape Verde in 1989. Since then the country has moved in a positive direction. Our main focus is to improve children’s possibilities and potential to contribute to the development of their own community. We work with a child centered approach; our development work is focusing on the growing generation.
Education: It is one of the most important drivers of development, yet there are still many children and young people who will never go to school and receive education. 24 years ago in Cape Verde 29 pct. of the children never went to school.
Public health: In 1990 for every 1000 children born 46 died before their first birthday.
While working in Cape Verde, BØRNEfonden has achieved the following, and much more:
- In Cape Verde, 99 pct. of all children now enroll in first class. In 1989, this was the case for only 71 pct. of the children.
- In 1990, for every 1000 children born, 46 died before their first birthday. That number has dropped to 29 today and is among the lowest per mille in Africa.
- Since 1989 BØRNEfonden has financed over 160 new classrooms and nearly 60 kindergartens.
- In 2012 alone, BØRNEfonden helped 20,966 children getting access to school materials and 11,151 children to enroll in primary school.
- 2,734 families received financial support for their medical expenses while 770 gained health insurance.
BØRNEfonden is an independent development organisation funded by private sponsorships and business partnerships. Together, we assist more than 67.000 children and youth in creating their own future in Togo, Mali, Cape Verde, Burkina Faso and Benin. BØRNEfonden was founded in 1972 and have since grown to become Denmark’s largest development organisation measured in private funds.
• BØRNEfonden has an annual turnover of more than $35,5 million (USD)
• We are focused on long-term development work and social sustainability through local partnerships and cooperation
• We work in four key intervention areas: Education, children’s health, income generating activities and children and development.